Hello dear user list!
I work at a company in retail where we use solr to perform searches as you
type.
As soon as you type more than 1 characters in the search field solr starts
serving hits.
Of course this generates a lot of "unnecessary" queries (in the sense that
they are never shown to the user) which is why I started thinking about
using something like squid or varnish to cache a bunch of these 2-4
character queries.

It seems most stuff I find about it is from pretty old sources, but as far
as I know solrcloud doesn't have distributed cache support.

Our indexes aren't updated that frequently, about 4 - 6 times a day. We
don't use a lot of shards and replicas (biggest index is split to 3 shards
with 2 replicas). All shards/replicas are not on the same solr host.
Our solr setup handles around 80-200 queries per second during the day with
peaks at >1500 before holiday season and sales.

I haven't really read up on the details yet but it seems like I could use
etags and Expires headers to work around having to do some of that
"unnecessary" work.

Is anyone doing this? Why? Why not?

- peace!