> When I restart Solr

How exactly are you restarting Solr?  Are you running a "bin/solr
restart"?  Or is Solr already shut down and you're just starting it
back up with a "bin/solr start <other-args>"?  Depending on how Solr
was shut down, you might be running into a bit of a known-issue with
Solr's HDFS support.  Solr creates lock files for each index, to
restrict who can write to that index in the interest of avoiding race
conditions and protecting against file corruption.  Often when Solr
crashes or is shut down abruptly (via a "kill -9") it doesn't have
time to clean up these lock files and it fails to start up the next
time because it is still locked out from touching that index.  This
might be what you're running in to.  In which case you could carefully
make sure that no Solr nodes are using the index in question, delete
the lock file manually out of HDFS, and try starting Solr again.

The advice above is what we usually tell people with write.lock issues
on HDFS...though some elements of the stack trace you provided make me
wonder whether you're seeing the same exact problem.  Your stack trace
has a NullPointerException, and a "Filesystem Closed" error (typically
seen when a Java object gets closed too early and may indicate a bug).
I'm not used to seeing either of these associated with the "standard"
write.lock issues.  What version of Solr are you seeing this on?

Best regards,

Jason