Hello everybody,

Hoping to get advice on a specific issue - We have a collection of 50M
documents. We recently added a featuredAt field defined as such -

<field name="featuredAt" type="date" indexed="true" stored="false"
required="false"
       multiValued="false" docValues="true"/>

This field is sparely populated such that only a small subset (3-5 thousand
currently) have been tagged with that field.

We have a business case where we want to order this content by most
recently featured -> least recently featured -> the rest of the content in
any order. However adding the `sort=featuredAt desc` param results in qTime
> 5000 (our hard timeout is 5000).

The request handler processing this request is defined as follows:
<requestHandler name="/select" class="solr.SearchHandler">
  <lst name="invariants">
    <str name="q">*</str>
  </lst>
  <lst name="defaults">
    <str name="qf">id</str>
    <str name="defType">edismax</str>
    <str name="rows">10</str>
    <str name="fl">id</str>
  </lst>
  <arr name="last-components">
    <str>elevator</str>
  </arr>
</requestHandler>

We hydrate content with a seperate store.

Any advice as to how to improve the performance of this request handler +
sorting.

System/Architecture Specs:
Solr 7.4
8 Shards
TLOG / PULLs

Thank you & Regards,

Ash

--
*P.S. We've launched a new blog to share the latest ideas and case studies
from our team. Check it out here: product.canva.com