On 26/05/2019 19:08, Shawn Heisey wrote:
On 5/25/2019 9:40 AM, Joe Doupnik wrote:
     Comparing memory consumption (real, not virtual) of quiesent Solr v8.0 and prior with Solr v8.1.0 reveals the older versions use about 1.6GB on my systems but v8.1.0 uses 4.5 to 5+GB. Systems used are SUSE Linux, with Oracle JDK v1.8 and openjdk v10. This is a major memory consumption issue. I have seen no mention of it in the docs nor forums.

If Solr is using 4 to 5 GB of memory on your system, it is only doing that because you told it that it was allowed to.

If you run a Java program with a minimum heap that's smaller than the max heap, which Solr does not do by default, then what you will find is that Java *might* stay lower than the maximum for a while.  But eventually it WILL allocate the entire maximum heap from the OS, plus some extra for Java itself to work with.  Solr 8.0 and Solr 8.1 are not different from each other in this regard.

Thanks,
Shawn
--------
    Not to be argumentative, prior to Solr v8.1 quiesent resident memory remained at about the 1.6GB level, and during active indexing it could exceed 3.5GB. With the same configuration settings Solr v8.1 changes that to use _a lot_ more memory. Thus something significant has changed with Solr v8.1 when compared to its predecessors. The question is what, and what can we do about it.     I am not about to enter a guessing game with Solr and Java and its heap usage. That is far to complex to hope to win.     Thus, something changed, for the worse here in the field, and I do not know what.
    Thanks,
    Joe D.