This came up the other day, too, see http://lucene.markmail.org/message/cnrrkw3d35wqxhzz?q=How+to+tokenize/analyze+docs+for+the+spellchecker .

I think we could add this to the Lucene spellchecker, or at least to the SpellCheckComponent. rameshgalla, care to write up your code as a patch?

Of course, then the question becomes would you want collated to go and check the various permutations until you come up with one that has hits?

An alternative approach would be to add a component that transforms the query into what I call a backoff query, i.e. it converts AND to OR

-Grant