We have a solr file of type "string".
It turns out that we need to do synonym expansion on query time in order to
account for some changes over time in the values stored in that field.

So we have tried introducing a custom fieldType that applies the synonym
filter at query time only (see bottom of mail), but that requires us to
change the field. But now, when we index new documents, Solr complains:
400 Bad Request
Error: 'Exception writing document id someid to the index; possible
analysis error: cannot change field "auth_country_code" from index
options=DOCS to inconsistent index options=DOCS_AND_FREQS_AND_POSITIONS',

Since we are only making query time changes, I would really like to not
have to reindex our entire collection. Is that possible somehow?

Thanks,
Bjarke

  <fieldType name="country_codes" class="solr.TextField"
sortMissingLast="true" positionIncrementGap="100">
    <analyzer>
        <tokenizer class="solr.KeywordTokenizerFactory"/>  <!-- no
splitting of input -->
    </analyzer>
    <analyzer type="query">
        <filter class="solr.SynonymGraphFilterFactory"
synonyms="country-synonyms.txt" ignoreCase="false" expand="true"/>
    </analyzer>
  </fieldType>