From: Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, August 30, 2019 20:05
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org <solr-user@lucene.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Question: Solr perform well with thousands of replicas?

“no registered leader” is the effect of some problem usually, not the root
cause. In this case, for instance, you could be running out of file handles and
see other errors like “too many open files”. That’s just one example.

One common problem is that Solr needs a lot of file handles and the system
defaults are too low. We usually recommend you start with 65K file handles
(ulimit) and bump up the number of processes to 65K too.

So to throw some numbers out. With 1,000 replicas, and let’s say you have 50
segments in the index in each replica. Each segment consists of multiple files
(I’m skipping “compound files” here as an advanced topic), so each segment has,
let’s say, 10 segments. 1,000 * 50 * 10 would require 500,000 file handles on
your system.

Bottom line: look for other, lower-level errors in the log to try to understand
what limit you’re running into.

All that said, there’ll be a number of “gotchas” when running that many
replicas on a particular node, I second Jörn;’s question...

Best,
Erick