On 10/14/2019 3:25 PM, Moyer, Brett wrote:
Hello, looking for some advice, I have the suspicion we are doing Facets all wrong. We
host financial information and recently "tagged" our pages with appropriate
Facets. We have built a Flat design. Are we going at it the wrong way?

In Solr we have a "Tags" field, based on some magic we tagged each page on the site
with a number of the below example Facets. We have the UI team sending queries in the form of 1)
q=get a loan&fq=Tags:Retirement, 2) q=get a loan&fq=Tags:Retirement AND Tags:Move Money.
This restricts the resultset hopefully guiding the user to their desired result. Something about
it doesn’t seem right. Is this right with a flat single level pattern like what we have? Should
each doc have multiple Fields to map to different values? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Example Facets:
Brokerage
Retirement
Open an Account
Move Money
Estate Planning

The queries you mentioned above do not have facets, only the q and fq parameters. You also have not mentioned what in the results is wrong to you.

If you restrict the query to only a certain value in the tag field, then facets will only count documents that match the full query -- users will not be able to see the count of documents that do NOT match the query, unless you use tagging/excluding with your filters. This is part of the functionality called multi-select faceting.

http://yonik.com/multi-select-faceting/

Because your message doesn't say what in the results is wrong, we can only guess about how to help you. I do not know if the above information will be helpful or not.

Thanks,
Shawn