Hi -

There are many "vulnerabilities" that can be enabled when one has
administrative access to Solr, with this being one example.   The setting
mentioned defaults to false, and requires admin access to enable.

The warning from the Solr Reference Guide is worth repeating here:

>> No Solr API, including the Admin UI, is designed to be exposed to
>> non-trusted parties.

Turning on authentication is the first step I'd recommend.

        Erik