Hum..... this mean I have to wait before I index new documents and avoid indexing when they are created (I have about 50 000 new documents created each day and I was planning to make those searchable ASAP). Too bad there is no way to have a centralized cache that can be shared AND updated when new documents are created.

C.

Mark Miller wrote:
christophe wrote:
When I start indexing new documents, searches are taking long time again: is the sort cache flushed when new documents are indexed ?

When you commit, a new Reader will be opened (or reopened) so that the freshly added docs can be seen. This would make the first search slow again, but if you have the warming queries, it should be warmed before being put into use. Be sure the warming query sorts on the right field.

Are there any metrics on how to compute memory requirements (based on doc average size, number of sorted fields, number of indexed documents + number of new document / day) ?

Depends on the field type, but I think its 32bits x numDocs for most datatypes, with the String datatype also requiring an array of all the unique terms to index into. Thats not everything, but it dominates.

Thanks
Christophe
Mark Miller wrote:
You need to setup a warming query that sorts so that the initial long query is done behind the scenes. Users first query will then be fast. Solrconfig.

- Mark