Lucene has never promised that it will work correctly over _two_ major
versions. IndexUpgraderTool simply optimizes into a single segment, which has
it’s own problems
(https://lucidworks.com/post/segment-merging-deleted-documents-optimize-may-bad/).
 It does _not_ transform the index to look like it had been exactly as if it
had been written by the current version.

There’s a lot of discussion as to why Lucene _cannot_ upgrade the index which
boils down to the fact that Lucene is a lossy abstraction so when upgrading you
don’t have the original inputs, and if the calculations for what actually goes
into the index change you can’t recompute them.

In fact, starting with version 8, Lucene will refuse to open an index _ever
touched_ by version X-2.

The net-net is that you really have to re-index your data, painful as it might
be to upgrade over two major versions of Lucene/Solr.

Best,
Erick