We've seen this type of deadlock pretty often. Our recourse is to restart
solr on only one of the nodes, this seems to force the leader election to
take place and it soon stars rebuilding.

Let me know if you try that and it works... Wouldn't mind another
validation point that this happens to others...

Good luck!