Yes. You should also index them….

Here’s the way I think of it.

For questions “For term X, which docs contain that value?” means index=true.
This is a search.

For questions “Does doc X have value Y in field Z”, means docValues=true.

what’s the difference? Well, the first one is to get the result set. The second
is for, given a result set,
count/sort/whatever.

fq clauses are searches, so index=true.

sorting, faceting, grouping and function queries  are “for each doc in the
result set, what values does field Y contain?”

Maybe that made things clear as mud, but it’s the way I think of it ;)

Best,
Erick

fq clauses are searches. Indexed=true is for searching.

sort