Hi@all,

I'm using Solr 6.6 and trying to validate my setup for AtomicUpdates and
Near-Realtime-Search.

Some questions are bogging my mind, so maybe someone can give me a hint
to make things clearer.

I am posting regular updates to a collection using the UpdateHandler and
Solr Command Syntax, including updates and deletes. These changes are
commited using the commitWithin configuration every 30 seconds.

Now I want to use AtomicUpdates on MultiValue'd fields, so I post the
"add" commands for these fields only. Sometimes I have to post multiple
Solr commands affecting the same document, but within the same
commitWithin interval. The question is now, what is the final new value
of the field after the atomic update add operations? From my point of
view the final value should be the old value plus the newly added
values, which is commited to the index in the next commitWithin period.
So can I combine multiple AtomicUpdate commands affecting the same
document within the same commitWithin interval?

Another thing that is bogging me: can I combine multiple AtomicUpdates
for the same document with CopyFields? Does Solr use some kind of
dirty-read or pending uncommited changes to get the right value of the
source field, or is the source always the last commited value?

So in summary, does Solr AtomicUpdates use some kind of dirty-read
mechanism do do its "magic" ?

Thanks in advance,
Mirko