Since you have a typical use-case (point data, queries that are
rectangles), I strongly encourage you to migrate to LatLonPointSpatialField:

https://builds.apache.org/job/Solr-reference-guide-master/javadoc/spatial-search.html#latlonpointspatialfield
It's based off an internal "BKD" tree index (doesn't use FSTs) which is
different than the terms based index used by the RPT field that you are
using which employes FSTs.  To be clear, FSTs are awesome but the BKD index
is tailored for numeric data whereas terms/FSTs are not.

If your FSTs are/were taking up so much memory, you are probably not using
Solr 8.4.0 or beyond, which moved to having the FSTs off-heap -- at least
the ones associated with the field indexes.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley