Good question, what do the logs say? You’ve provided very little information
to help diagnose the issue.

As to your observation that atomic updates are expensive, that’s true. Under
the covers, Solr has to go out and fetch the document, overlay your changes
and then re-index the full document. So, indeed, it actually takes more work
as far as Solr is concerned than just having the entire document re-sent by
the client.

I don’t know offhand what the root cause of the difference in ingestion rates
is…

Best,
Erick