Adding on to what others have said, indexing speed in general is largely
affected by the parallelism and isolation you can give to each node.
Is there a reason why you cannot have more than 1 shard?
If you have 5 node cluster, why not have 5 shards, maxshardspernode=1 replica=1
is ok. You should see dramatic gains.
Solr’s power and speed in doing everything comes from using it as a distributed
system. By sharing more you will be using the benefit of that distributed
capability,

HTH

Regards
Aroop