I think there were past discussions about people doing but they really
really knew what they were doing from a security perspective, not just
Solr one.

You are increasing your risk factor a lot, so you need to think
through this. What are you protecting and what are you exposing. Are
you trying to protect the updates? You may be able to do it with - for
example - read-only docker container, or with embedded Solr or/and
with reverse proxy.

Are you trying to protect some of the data from being read? Even harder.

There are implicit handlers, admin handlers, 'qt' to select query
parser, etc. Lots of things to think about.

It just may not be worth it.

Regards,
   Alex.