That first graph shows a JVM that does not have enough heap for the
program it is running. Look at the bottom of the dips. That is the amount
of memory still in use after a full GC.

You want those dips to drop to about half of the available heap, so I’d
immediately increase that heap to 4G. That might not be enough, so
you’ll need to to watch that graph after the increase.

I’ve been using 8G heaps with Solr since version 1.2. We run this config
with Java 8 on over 100 machines. We do not do any faceting, which
can take more memory.

SOLR_HEAP=8g
# Use G1 GC  -- wunder 2017-01-23
# Settings from https://wiki.apache.org/solr/ShawnHeisey