Any suggestions?
-----Original Message-----
From: Nguyen, Joe
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2008 9:40 Joe
To: 'solr-user@lucene.apache.org'
Subject: RE: abt Multicore

"Are all the documents in the same search space?  That is, for a given
query, could any of the 10MM docs be returned?

If so, I don't think you need to worry about multicore.  You may however
need to put part of the index on various machines:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DistributedSearch "

I also try to make decision whether going with muticore or distributed
search. My concern is as follow:

Does that mean having a single big schema with lot of fields?
Distributed Search requires that each document must have a unique key.
In this case, the unique key cannot be a primary key of a table.

I wonder how Solr performs in this case (distributed search vs.
multicore) 1.  Distributed Search
    a.  All documents are in a single index.  Indexing a single document
would lock the index and affect query performance?
    b.  If multi machines are used, Solr will need to query each machine
and merge the result.  This also could impact performance.
    C.  Support MoreLikeThis query given a document id.
2.  Multicore
    a.  Each table will be associated with a single core.  Indexing a
single document would lock only a specific core index.  Thus,quering
documents on other cores won't be impacted.
    B.  Querying documents across multicore must be handle by the
caller.
    C.  Can't support MoreLikeThis query since document id from one core
has no meaning on other cores.

Are all the documents in the same search space?  That is, for a given
query, could any of the 10MM docs be returned?

If so, I don't think you need to worry about multicore.  You may however
need to put part of the index on various machines:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DistributedSearch

ryan