First of all...

standard request handler uses the default search field specified in your
schema.xml -- dismax does not.  dismax looks at the "qf" param to decide
which fields to search for the "q" param.  if you started with the example
schema the dismax handler may have a default value for "qf" which is
trying to query different fields then you actaully use in your documents.

&debugQuery=true will show you exactly what query structure (and on which
fields) each request is using.

Second...

I don't know Russian, and character encoding issues tend to make my head
spin, but the fact that the responseHeader is echoing back a q param
containing java string literal sequences suggests that you are doing
soemthing wrong.  you should be sending the URL encoding of the actaul
characters, not the URL encoding of the actual Russian word, not the URL
encoding or the java string literal encoding of the Russian word.  I
suspect the fact that you are getting any results at all from your first
query is a fluke.

The <str name="q"> in the responseHeader should show you the real word you
want to search for -- once it does, then you'll know that you have the
URL+UTF8 encoding issues straightened out.  *THEN* i would worry about the
dismax/standard behavior.

:  <lst name="params">
:   <str
:
name="q">\u041f\u0440\u0435\u0434\u0432\u0430\u0440\u0438\u0442\u0435\u043b\u044c\u043d\u043e\u0435</str>

:   </lst>

-Hoss