On Tue, Dec 02, 2008 at 04:34:08PM -0500, Burton-West, Tom wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> As I understand distributed Solr, a request for a distributed search
> goes to a particular Solr instance with a list of arguments specifying
> the addresses of the shards to search.  The Solr instance to which the
> request is first directed is responsible for distributing the query to
> the other shards and pulling together the results.  My questions are:
>
> 1 Does it make sense to
>  A.  Always have the same Solr instance responsible for distributing the
> query to the other shards
>                    or
>  B.   Rotate which shard does the distributing/result aggregating?
>
> 2. For scenario A, are there different requirements (memory,cpu,
> processors etc) for the machine doing the distribution versus the
> machines hosting the shards responding to the distributed requests?
>
> 3. For scenario B, are people using some kind of load balancing to
> distribute which Solr instance acts as the query distributor/response
> aggregator?

We use Scenario B, we have 4 Solr instances (4 machines), each with N data
SolrCores and 1 'default' Core which does the dispatch and aggregation of
requests between the 4*N total data cores.  We then use HAproxy to load balance
the requests between the dispatch Cores.

enjoy,

-jeremy

 Jeremy Hinegardner                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]