Johnny,

There are lots of examples of SearchComponents in Solr itself.  Have a look:

o...@lesina:~/workspace/asf-solr$ ffjg -l "extends SearchComponent"
./src/java/org/apache/solr/handler/component/FacetComponent.java
./src/java/org/apache/solr/handler/component/QueryComponent.java
./src/java/org/apache/solr/handler/component/MoreLikeThisComponent.java
./src/java/org/apache/solr/handler/component/HighlightComponent.java
./src/java/org/apache/solr/handler/component/SpellCheckComponent.java
./src/java/org/apache/solr/handler/component/TermVectorComponent.java
./src/java/org/apache/solr/handler/component/DebugComponent.java
./src/java/org/apache/solr/handler/component/QueryElevationComponent.java
./src/java/org/apache/solr/handler/component/StatsComponent.java
./src/java/org/apache/solr/handler/component/TermsComponent.java
./src/java/org/apache/solr/core/SolrCore.java

Otis