What you have below is not really what we call "Distributed Search", but more
of "Query Load Balancing".  Yes, the diagram below will work IF a single Solr
box (A or B) can really handle a full 50M doc index.  Of course "handle" can be
fuzzy.  That is, you could have a large index on a Solr box and it will
"handle" it - nothing will crash, nothing will die, it's just that it may not
be able to handle it "well enough" - that is, the queries may take longer than
you'd like.

NFS mounting an index directory is a separate story and very often a bad idea,
again because of performance.

Otis --