hi,

I'm looking through the list archives and the documentation on boost
queries, and I don't see anything that matches this case.

I have an index of documents, some of which are very similar but not
identical.  Therefore the scores are very close and the ordering is affected
by somewhat arbitrary factors.  When I do a query the similar documents come
up close together, so that's a good start.

Each document has a multivalued field, with 1-n values in it (as many as
20).  The actual values don't matter to me, but the number of values is a
rough proxy for the quality of a record.  I'd like to apply a very small
boost based on the number of values in that field, so that among a set of
similar documents the ones with more values will score higher and sort ahead
of those with less values.

Is there currently a function or set of functions that can be applied to
this use case?  Or a place where I could build and contribute something?  In
that case I'd look for a starting point on where to look.

thanks,
Eric