We also make query on date ranges, it works when you use NOW function.
Try using :
?q=dateField:[* TO NOW]
?q=dateField:[NOW-45DAYS TO NOW]
?q=dateField:[NOW TO NOW+45DAYS]

Issue: Current issue which i am facing is with dismaxrequesthandler for date
field.
As soon as I add dateField in dismaxrequest <qf> tag, dismax for other
string / text attributes stops working. My search query is ?q=SearchString,
the error i get is
"The request sent by the client was syntactically incorrect (Invalid Date
String:'searchTerm')."

Please suggets how can i use date field in qf of dismaxrequest.

Thanks,
Prerna