It looks like if you set a -Dsolr.data.dir=foo then you could specify where the index would be stored, yes? Are you properly setting your solr.home? I've never had to set the data directory specifically, Solr has always put it under my home.

From solrconfig.xml:
 <dataDir>${solr.data.dir:./solr/data}</dataDir>

Since Solr is running under tomcat, I'd assume that the index will always appear to be owned by tomcat as well. I don't think there is any way to have a different user for the written files - but someone else might want to chime in before you believe me 100% on this one.

Thanks for your time!

Matthew Runo
Software Engineer, Zappos.com
mr...@zappos.com - 702-943-7833

On Mar 2, 2009, at 5:46 PM, Matt Mitchell wrote:

Hi. I'm sorry if this is the second time this message comes through!

A few questions here...

Does anyone know how to set the user/group and/or permissions on the index that solr creates? It's always the tomcat user. Is it possible to change
this in my context file? Help!

I'm deploying Solr via Tomcat and really thought I had this stuff down. But it seems that with some recent system upgrades, my scheme is failing to set
the data dir correctly.

I'm deploying solr to tomcat, using a context file as described here:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrTomcat#head-024d7e11209030f1dbcac9974e55106abae837ac

But when I deploy, Tomcat says that it can't find a ./data/index directory
-- relative to the tomcat home directory. How can I set the data dir
relative to the solr home value I'm specifying in the tomcat context file?
Note: a hard-coded absolute path works, but I want to configure at
deployment time.

In the past, I tried setting the data dir in the same way the solr home is set in the context file without luck. Does this now work in the latest solr
nightly?