I don't think that Solr is the best thing to use for searching a text file. I'd use grep myself, if you're on a unix-like system.

To use solr, you'd need to throw each network 'event' (GET, POST, etc etc) into an XML document, and post those into Solr so it could generate the index. You could then do things like ip:10.206.158.154 to find a specific IP address, or even ip: 10.206.158* to get a subnet.

Perhaps the thing that's building your text file could post to Solr instead?

Thanks for your time!

Matthew Runo
Software Engineer, Zappos.com
mr...@zappos.com - 702-943-7833