The JaroWinkler equals was broken, but I fixed that a month ago.

Query cache sounds possible, but those are cleared on a commit,
right?

I could run with a cache size of 0, since our middle tier HTTP
cache is leaving almost nothing for the caches to do.

I'll try that explain. The stored fields for the "correct" doc
are fine, because I can see them when I use a single-term query.
The indexed fields seem OK, because that query works.

wunder