I did clean up the indexes and re-started the index process from
scratch (new index file). As another test if I use simple numeric
counter for unique id the index speed is fast (within 20 sec for
commit 50k records). I'm thinking UUID might not be the way to go for
unique id - I'll look into using sequence# instead.

Thanks,
-vivek