right -- which one you pick will depend more on your runtime environment then anything else.

If you need to hit a server (on a different machine) CommonsHttpSolrServer is your only option.

If you are running an embedded application -- where your custom code lives in the same JVM as solr -- you can use EmbeddedSolrServer. The nice thing is that since they are the same interface, you can change later.

The performance comments on the wiki can be a bit misleading -- yes, in some cases embedded could be faster, but that may depend on how you are sending things -- are you sending 1000s of single document requests really fast? If so, try sending a bunch of documents together in one request.

Also consider using the StreamingHttpSolrServer (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-906 ) -- it has a few quirks, but can be much faster.

In any case, as long as you program against the SolrServer interface, then you could swap the implementation as needed.

ryan