how much overlap is there with the 20k user documents?

if you create a separate index for each of them will you be indexing 90% of the documents 20K times? How many total documents could an individual user typically see? How many total distinct documents are you talking about? Is the indexing strategy the same for all users? (the same analysis etc)

Is it actually possible to limit visibility by "role" rather then user?

I would start with trying to put everything in one index -- if that is not possible, then look at a multi-core option.