Thanks for the quick response.  I agree that for this one-off task the grab
and parse method works fine, but I'll keep the JMX interface in mind for
other tasks in the future.

Here's my particular hack solution in case this helps anyone else:

wget -q -O- http://hostname:port/solr/admin/stats.jsp | awk
'/optimizes/{getline;print}'