Hi,
    I was looking for ways in which we can use solr in distributed mode.
is there anyways we can use solr indexes across machines or by using Hadoop
Distributed File System?

Its has been mentioned in the wiki that
When an index becomes too large to fit on a single system, or when a single
query takes too long to execute, an index can be split into multiple shards,
and Solr can query and merge results across those shards.

what i understand is that shards are a partition. are shards on the same
machine or can it be on different machines??.... do we have to manually
split the indexes to store in different shards.

do you have an example or some tutorial which demonstrates distributed index
searching/ storing using shards?

Regards,
Raakhi