Solr in general is fairly stable in trunk. That isn't to say that a critical error can't get through, because that does happen, but the test suite is pretty comprehensive. With Solr 1.4 getting closer and closer, I think you'll see the pace of change dropping off.

I think it's one of those things that you have to judge for yourself.. Are the features/fixes/enhancements in 1.4 trunk worth a potential risk? I assume that as part of deployment into production you have some sort of defined criteria that says Solr can be added? Testing of server capacity/performance etc? Those might tell you if there are any issues with Solr 1.4 trunk that would need to delay your deployment.

Eric