I know migrating to maven2 has its pain points but in my view is worth it if one sees it as a long run investment. It follows standards/conventions and importing projects to IDEs like eclipse or IntelliJ is much more straightforward. When using maven getting used to a new project using it is also much quicker as grasping propriertary builds reinventing the wheel.

After having used maven2 for three years now I really couldn't live with it (though in the beginning when migrating builds I was swearing at its evil details). Support (documentation + mailing-list) has also greatly improved since then.

Because smooth migration is not that easy, one should maybe take the cut after release 1.4 or 1.5? Though I am not so much into codebase history would like to help out.

Grant Ingersoll schrieb:
I'm not particularly opposed to it, but I'm not exactly for it either. I very much have a love hate relationship with Maven. The simple things work fine w/ Maven and the power of pointing Eclipse or IntelliJ at a POM file and having the whole project imported and ready to work on w/o one iota of setup is something that the proponents of Ant just don't get, especially when it comes to multiple module builds like Solr and Lucene have. That being said, there are a lot of headaches with Maven, number one being releases, number two being anything custom and number three being the constant instability of the magic happening behind the scenes with it upgrading dependencies, etc. automatically. Finally, I've always had a hard time getting help in Maven land. It always seemed to me the number of incoming questions outweighed the number of answers about 10 to 1.

I converted Mahout to Maven and it was a pain. I also use Maven for personal development as well. It is much easier to start fresh on Maven than it is to add it in later. And, there is something to be said for the Maven Ant plugin, but even that is clunky.

In the end, I think I'd be +0 on it. It's also come up in the past on the lists and there never is a clear consensus.

-Grant