On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 12:33 AM, Erik Hatcher
<e...@ehatchersolutions.com>wrote:

> On Jul 15, 2009, at 2:59 PM, Mani Kumar wrote:
>
>> @mark, @otis:
>>

> Can I answer too?  :)

your welcome :)  ... thanks

>  yeah copying all the fields to one text field will work but what if i want
>> to assign specific weightage to specific fields?
>>
>> e.g. i have a three fields
>>
>> 1) title
>> 2) tags
>> 3) description
>>
>> i copied all of them to a new field called "all_text".
>>
>> now i want to search in all the fields with weightage assigned to title^4,
>> tags^2, description^1
>>
>> how it'll work then?
>>

> What you want, then, is the dismax query parser.
>  &defType=dismax&qf=title^5.0 tags^2.0 description^1.0 kinda thing.  It
> spreads query terms across multiple fields with field weights individually
> controllable.

- yes i am aware of dismax query parser ... but was just wondering it can be
done using single text field...

but my other question is still unanswered:

 how weightage is considered ?

is it a multiplication to scores of terms in fields ...
ex. terms in title * 4, terms in tags * 2

lets say i wanted to give twice importance to terms in title than tags. so
then shall i use title^2 tags^1    ?? or something else?