On Jul 20, 2009, at 8:47 AM, Edward Capriolo wrote:

Hey all,

We have several deployments of Solr across our enterprise. Our largest
one is a several GB and when enough documents are added an OOM
exception is occurring.

To debug this problem I have enable JMX. My goal is to write some
cacti templates similar to the ones I have done for hadoop.
http://www.jointhegrid.com/hadoop/. The only cacti template for solr I
have found is old, broken and is using curl and PHP to try and read
the values off the web interface. I have a few general
questions/comments and also would like to know how others are dealing
with this.

1) SNMP has counters/gauges. With JMX it is hard to know what a
variable is without watching it for a while. Some fields are obvious,
(total_x) (cumulative_x) it is worth wild to add some notes in the
MBEAN info to say "works like counter" "works like gauge". This way a
"network engineer" like me does not have to go code surfing to figure
out how to graph them.

Has anyone written up a list of what the attributes are, types, and
what they mean?

2) The values that are not counter style I am assuming are sampled,
what is the sampling rate and is it adjustable?

Any tips are helpful. Thank you,

Check:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/solr/trunk/src/java/org/apache/solr/handler/RequestHandlerBase.java

For cacti, you should probably ignore the two 'rate' based calculations as they are just derivatives: lst.add("avgTimePerRequest", (float) totalTime / (float) this.numRequests); lst.add("avgRequestsPerSecond", (float) numRequests*1000 / (float)(System.currentTimeMillis()-handlerStart));