The ReplicationHandler is not enforced as a singleton , but for all
practical purposes it is a singleton for one core.

If an instance  (a slice as you say) is setup as a repeater, It can
act as both a master and slave

in the repeater the configuration should be as follows

MASTER
  |_____________SLAVE (I am a slave of MASTER)

REPEATER (I am a slave of MASTER and master to my slaves )

REPEATER_SLAVE( of REPEATER)

the point is that REPEATER will have a slave section has a masterUrl
which points to master and REPEATER_SLAVE will have a slave section
which has a masterurl pointing to repeater