That seems sweet! One conf dir, many data-dirs = perfect.

Some short questions

* How and where do one configure each core to have separate data vs
instancedirs ? Still manually in solr.xml or by using the coreadminhandler ?
* How do one use the CoreAdminHandler ?  (Google gives me only refs to the
javadoc or nabble)
* If one perform the changes through CoreAdminHandler then where are the
changes persisted ? solr.xml ?

Cheers mate

//Marcus

2009/8/28 Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <noble.p...@corp.aol.com>

> have you looked at the coreadminhandler?
>
> say you always write to "newcore"
>
> after say august , you cretae andn empty core "core-aug" and swap it
> out with "newcore".
>
> Make every core use the same instancedir with different dataDir
>
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 3:08 PM, Marcus Herou<marcus.he...@tailsweep.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > We are now rethinking our sharding strategy to shard on the blog entry
> > publishdate instead of just a simple hash. This is due to that the index
> > size is growing too much to be handled in one index.
> >
> > Thing is that we want to select a core based on the publishdate of the
> > entry. Let's say we have one core per month.
> >
> > A new core need to be added at the very latest 00:00 the first day each
> > month. How would I do that dynamically ?
> >
> > I am thinking something like this:
> >
> > *A core dir which serves as template (i.e. contains no data)
> >
> > * A cronjob which:
> > -Copies the tpl-dir -> $corename-$year-$month
> > -Updates the solr.xml
> > -Restarts solr (can one only reload the solr.xml file ?)
> >
> > Of course we get issues on the client since we need to figure out which
> > cores to search in for each query...
> > The benefit though is that it seems alot easier to manage the indexes,
> > especially that we are able to choose which indices to search in to
> utilize
> > the memory better. We probably need to distribute a file to the clients
> so
> > they know where each index reside (or have the conf in a DB)
> >
> > Any thoughts ?
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > //Marcus
> >

> > --
> > Marcus Herou CTO and co-founder Tailsweep AB
> > +46702561312
> > marcus.he...@tailsweep.com
> > http://www.tailsweep.com/

> Noble Paul | Principal Engineer| AOL | http://aol.com