SUN has recently clarify the issue regarding "unsupported unless you pay"
for the G1 garbage collector. Here is the updated release of Java 6 update
14:
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/6u14.html

G1 will be part of Java 7, fully supported without pay.  The version
included in Java 6 update 14 is a beta release.  Since it is beta, SUN does
not recommend using it unless you have a support contract because as with
any beta software there will be bugs.  Non paying customers may very well
have to wait for the official version in Java 7 for bug fixes.

Here is more info on the G1 garbage collector:

http://java.sun.com/javase/technologies/hotspot/gc/g1_intro.jsp

Bill