my apologies, you are correct; I put the stack trace in an edit of the post
and not in the original post.

re version info:

Solr Specification Version: 1.3.0.2009.07.08.08.05.45
Solr Implementation Version: nightly exported - yonik - 2009-07-08 08:05:45

NOTE: I have some more info on this NPE problem.  I get the NPE error
whenever I use debugQuery and the query range has an asterix in it, even tho
the query itself should work.  For example:

These work ok:

http://127.0.0.1:8994/solr/select?q=myfield:[* TO 1]
http://127.0.0.1:8994/solr/select?q=myfield:[1 TO *]
http://127.0.0.1:8994/solr/select?q=myfield:[1 TO 1000]
http://127.0.0.1:8994/solr/select?q=myfield:[1 TO 1000]&debugQuery=true

These do not work ok:

http://127.0.0.1:8994/solr/select?q=myfield:[* TO 1]&debugQuery=true
http://127.0.0.1:8994/solr/select?q=myfield:[1 TO *]&debugQuery=true
http://127.0.0.1:8994/solr/select?q=myfield:*
http://127.0.0.1:8994/solr/select?q=myfield:*&debugQuery=true

Not sure if the * gets translated somewhere into a null value parameter (I
am just starting to look at the solr code) per your comment