On Oct 14, 2009, at 12:26 PM, nonrenewable wrote:

I'm curious why this is occurring and whether i can prevent it. This is my
scenario:

Locally I have an idle running solr 1.3 service using lucene 2.4.1 which has an index of ~330K documents containing ~10 fields each(total size ~12GB).

Did I read that right?  330K docs == 12 GB index.

Currently I've turned off all caching, lazy field loading, however i do have
facet fields set for some request handlers.

What i'm seeing is heap space usage increasing by ~1.2MB per 2 sec (by
java.lang.String objects). I'm assuming they're being used by lucene but i may be wrong about that, since i have no actual data to confirm it. Why
exactly is this happening, considering no requests are being serviced?
Shouldn't the memory usage stabilise with a certain set of information and only be affected on requests? Additionally there is a full GC every half hour, which seems very unreasonable on a machine that isn't actually being
used as a service.

Can you share the Solr logs and/or your config? Is this happening around a commit or some warming process? After startup, with no requests hitting it and no warming/commits/indexing, I don't see why it would be growing. Do you have custom code?

I really hope there's just a certain setting that i've overlooked, or a concept i'm not understanding because otherwise this behaviour seems very
unreasonable...

Thanks beforehand,
Tony