> My guess is that Solr is treating this as a range query.  I've tried
> escaping the word To with backslashes, but it doesn't seem to make a
> difference.  Is there a way to tell Solr that "to" is not a special word in
> this instance?

Nope. Any occurrence of "to" in search term(s) does NOT cause the query to
be parsed as a RangeQuery.

You are probably doing phrase search on a "text" field which is analyzed for
stopwords. These stopwords are typically stored in a file called
"stopwords.txt". Make sure your that the stopword analyzer is applied both
at index time and query time.

Cheers
Avlesh