I'm sure it is possible to configure JDK logging (java.util.loging) programatically... but I have never had much luck with it.

It is very easy to configure log4j programatically, and this works great with solr.

To use log4j rather then JDK logging, simply add slf4j- log4j12-1.5.8.jar (from http://www.slf4j.org/download.html) to your classpath

ryan