Nota bene:
My understanding is the external versions of Local Lucene/Solr are eventually
going to be "deprecated" in favour of what we have in contrib.  Here's a stub
page with a link to the spatial JIRA issue:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SpatialSearch

Otis
--
Sematext is hiring -- http://sematext.com/about/jobs.html?mls
Lucene, Solr, Nutch, Katta, Hadoop, HBase, UIMA, NLP, NER, IR