On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 11:02 PM, Otis Gospodnetic
<otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> So I think the question is really:
> "If I stop the servlet container, does Solr issue a commit in the shutdown
> hook in order to ensure all buffered docs are persisted to disk before the
> JVM exits".

Exactly right, Otis.

> I don't have the Solr source handy, but if I did, I'd look for "Shutdown",
> "Hook" and "finalize" in the code.

Thanks for the direction.  There was some talk of close()ing a
SolrCore that I found, but I don't believe this meant a commit.

I somehow hadn't thought of actually *trying* to add a doc and then
shut down a Solr instance; shame on me.  Unfortunately, when I test
this via
 * make a new solr
 * add a doc
 * commit
 * verify it shows up in a search -- it does
 * add a 2nd doc
 * shutdown
solr doesn't stop.  It stops accepting connections, but java refuses
to actually die.  Not sure what we're doing wrong on our end, but I
see this frequently and end up having to do a kill (usually not -9!).
I guess we'll stick with externally tracking which docs have
committed, so that when we inevitably have to kill Solr it doesn't
cause a problem.

Michael