From: Smiley, David W. [mailto:dsmi...@mitre.org]
Sent: 19 November 2009 19:29
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Index-time field boosting not working?

Hi Ian.  Thanks for buying my book.

The "boost" attribute goes on the field for the XML message you're
sending to Solr.  In your example you mistakenly placed it in the
schema.

FYI I use index time boosting as well as query time boosting.  Although
index time boosting isn't something I can change on a whim, I've found
it to be far easier to control the scoring than say function queries
which would be the query time substitute if the boost is a function of
particular field values.

~ David Smiley
Author: http://www.packtpub.com/solr-1-4-enterprise-search-server/

On Nov 18, 2009, at 6:40 AM, Ian Smith wrote:

> I have the following field configured in schema.xml:
>
> <field name="title" type="text" indexed="true" stored="true"
> omitNorms="false" boost="3.0" />
>
> Where "text" is the type which came with the Solr distribution.  I
> have not been able to get this configuration to alter any document
> scores, and if I look at the indexes in Luke there is no change in the

> norms (compared to an un-boosted equivalent).
>
> I have confirmed that document boosting works (via SolrJ), but our
> field boosting needs to be done in the schema.
>
> Am I doing something wrong (BTW I have tried using "3.0f" as well, no
> difference)?
>
> Also, I have seen no debug output during startup which would indicate
> that fild boosting is being configured - should there be any?
>
> I have found no usage examples of this in the Solr 1.4 book, except a
> vague discouragement - is this a deprecated feature?
>
> TIA,
>
> Ian
>
> Web design and intelligent Content Management.
> www.twitter.com/gossinteractive
>
> Registered Office: c/o Bishop Fleming, Cobourg House, Mayflower
> Street, Plymouth, PL1 1LG.  Company Registration No: 3553908
>
> This email contains proprietary information, some or all of which may
be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If an
addressing or transmission error has misdirected this email, please
notify the author by replying to this email. If you are not the intended
recipient you may not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on
this email.

> Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error free, as
information may be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late
or incomplete or contain viruses. This email and any files attached to
it have been checked with virus detection software before transmission.
You should nonetheless carry out your own virus check before opening any
attachment. GOSS Interactive Ltd accepts no liability for any loss or
damage that may be caused by software viruses.