Aha!
Sounds like a job for a simple, custom UpdateRequestProcessor.  Actually, I
think URP doesn't get access to the actual XML, but what it has access may be
enough for you: http://wiki.apache.org/solr/UpdateRequestProcessor

Alternatively, unpack the war, add a custom logging servlet filter, chain it in
web.xml and that might do the trick.

Otis
--
Sematext -- http://sematext.com/ -- Solr - Lucene - Nutch