How have you configured field collapsing?
I have field collapsing configured without caching like this:
<searchComponent name="collapse"
class="org.apache.solr.handler.component.CollapseComponent" />

and with caching like this:
<searchComponent name="collapse"
class="org.apache.solr.handler.component.CollapseComponent">

    <fieldCollapseCache
                    class="solr.FastLRUCache"
                    size="512"
                    initialSize="512"
                    autowarmCount="128"/>

  </searchComponent>

In both situations I don't get NPE. Also the line (in the patch) where
the exceptions occurs seems unlikely for a NPE.
if (fieldCollapseCache != null) {
      fieldCollapseCache.put(currentCacheKey, new CacheValue(result,
collectors, collapseContext)); // line 276
}

Does the exception occur immediately after the first search?

Martijn